Recently I’ve been searching the internet for a DIY deodorant spray recipe…but what’s this?? There aren’t any?? I honestly couldn’t find a single recipe out there (maybe I missed one?) and so I set out to concoct my own. After many failed attempts, I finally came up with a recipe I’m happy with.
Toss Out Your Store-bought Crystal Deodorant Spray Cuz We’re Making Our Own!
This homemade mineral salt deodorant spray is effecting at preventing odor and has a lovely lavender scent. This recipe is for odor control only and is not meant or formulated to be an antiperspirant. Deodorants that block perspiration allow for the accumulation of toxins in the body, and here at HHH, I have a strong stance against blocking the body’s natural elimination pathways.
What’s All The Fuss About Conventional Deodorants?
All conventional antiperspirants and a vast majority of “natural” deodorants contain one form of aluminum or another; a toxin that your body has NO USE for in any amount. Some contain up to 25 percent by volume of aluminum salts. That’s staggering!
Aluminum is known to be a potent neurotoxin and has been found in high concentrations in the brains of Alzheimer’s patients. It has also been linked to an increased chance of breast cancer. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want my chances of getting cancer to increase by any percent.
But “Natural” Deodorants Don’t Contain Aluminun…
Unfortunately, they do, just in a different form. The forms I have found in my own salt crystal products include:
• Potassium Alum (aka potassium aluminum sulfate)
• Ammonium Alum- Made from aluminium hydroxide, sulfuric acid and ammonium sulfate
Although companies claim that there is no risk of absorbing the aluminum in their products, there is no solid evidence to support this.
How to Make Your Own Aluminum Free Deodorant Spray
Using natural ingredients to make your own mineral salt deodorant spray is empowering! It may sound silly, but doesn’t it feel good to make your own body care products? I always feel a bit liberated =)
The ingredients used have great properties–
• Organic witch hazel– Astringent, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and soothing. Italso prevents razor burn, an added bonus for us ladies!
• Essential oils- Highly antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antifungal. Essential oils prevent odor but can also mask it when in already exists.
• Baking soda– Known for its superb odor control. Nuff said!
• Grapefruit seed extract– Kills odor causing bacteria like no one’s business.
• Himalayan salt– Salt is known for its antibacterial properties. It inhibits the growth of odor causing bacteria.
What You’ll Need-
• Pink himalayan salt or high quality sea salt
• Aluminum free baking soda
• Your favorite essential oil
• 1-2 drops grapefruit seed extract (for extra antibacterial oomf)
• Organic witch hazel
• 1 4oz spray bottle
• A small bowl
• A spoon
• A small funnel
Where to Buy Essential Oils for 24% off
• Measure 2 tsp himalayan salt and ¼ tsp aluminum free baking soda and put them in the bowl
• Add 4-5 TB organic with hazel
• Mix well with a spoon to dissolve as much of the salt and baking soda as possible
• Let the solution settle (you want to avoid getting any sediment into your final product)
• Pour the solution into your spray bottle
• Add 20-24 drops of your essential oil (you can use any blend of oils to create lovely fragrances)
• Add 1-2 drops grapefruit seed extract
• Cap tightly and shake well
• Shake well before each use (you want those essential oils to get mixed in)
• Spray 3 or more times under each arm (make sure you really get it on there)
• Re-apply as needed
Check out my video tutorial below 🙂
• When you apply this deodorant, it will smell mostly like witch hazel for a few minutes until it dries. Once dry, it will smell like the essential oils you’ve used.
• It can sting a bit if you have just shaved your underarms
This deodorant works best on freshly washed underarms but I have had good results with re-application. Generally, its deodorizing properties last about 12 hrs.
If your spray bottle begins to clog you can also apply this deodorant with a cotton ball.
- • Pink himalayan salt or high quality sea salt
- • Aluminum free baking soda
- • Your favorite essential oil
- • 1-2 drops grapefruit seed extract (for extra antibacterial oomf)
- • Organic witch hazel
- • 1 4oz spray bottle
- • A small bowl
- • A spoon
- • A small funnel
- Measure 2 tsp himalayan salt and ¼ tsp aluminum free baking soda and put them in the bowl
- Add 4-5 TB organic with hazel
- Mix well with a spoon to dissolve as much of the salt and baking soda as possible
- Let the solution settle (you want to avoid getting any sediment into your final product)
- Pour the solution into your spray bottle
- Add 20-24 drops of your essential oil (you can use any blend of oils to create lovely fragrances)
- Add 1-2 drops grapefruit seed extract
- Cap tightly and shake well
- • When you apply this deodorant, it will smell mostly like witch hazel for a few minutes until it dries. Once dry, it will smell like the essential oils you’ve used.
- • It can sting a bit if you have just shaved your underarms
- This deodorant works best on freshly washed underarms but I have had good results with re-application. Generally, its deodorizing properties last about 12 hrs.
- If your spray bottle begins to clog you can also apply this deodorant with a cotton ball.
The Herbalist’s Spray Deodorant Recipe
I couldn’t just leave one recipe for you guys, so here’s a fun spin on spray deodorants that herbies like myself will appreciate.
What You’ll Need–
• 2 TB Herbal Hydrosol (rose, lavender, lemon balm, orange blossom, etc.)
• 4 TB witch hazel
• 1 ½ tsp 80 proof vodka
• 10 drops grapefruit essential oil
• 10 drops lemon essential oil
• 8 drops lavender essential oil
• 5 drops neroli essential oil
• Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle and shake vigorously
• Label and use as needed
• Mix any formula of essential oils to make your own wonderful scents
What essential oils would you use?
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure and disclaimer.