Fall is in full swing meaning lots of planning, lots of stressing, and lots of intermingling with friends and family as the holidays approach. It is always this time of year when cold and flu germs are thriving and our close proximity to others within confined spaces makes it easier to come down with the next bug.
One of the best ways to help mitigate the spread of germs is to have a good hand sanitizer available during the holiday season and what better scent to create than the fabled Thieves blend?
Even though I don’t sell Young Living, I still LOVE this blend.
The scent is just the perfect mix of spicy and sweet notes that transport you to a place filled with holiday cheer. When I smell Thieves, I can’t help but think of Thanksgiving and Christmas.
So today, I thought it would be meet to share a homemade recipe for Young Living’s Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier.
I think you’ll like it!
How to Make Thieves Hand Sanitizer
What I really like about this recipe is the fact that it doesn’t have any harmful chemicals or synthetic fragrances like many of the conventional hand sanitizers you can find at the store or in your local bath shop.
I know that some of those little holiday-inspired hand sanitizers look cute and smell good, but they aren’t good for you.
Instead, why not make your own version using pure essential oils and natural ingredients that are both pleasantly aromatic and effective?
I think this Thieves hand sanitizer recipe is the perfect alternative!
Here’s what you will need to make 4 oz of Thieves hand sanitizer:
- A 4 oz pump bottle
- A funnel
- A glass bowl
- A small spatula
- 1 tsp of vegetable glycerin
- 2 TB rubbing alcohol – this is what makes the hand sanitizer extra strength but it can be omitted, just add more aloe gel
- ½ cup of aloe vera gel
- 30 drops of Thieves essential oil (alternatively, you can use On Guard, Germ Fighter, or Medieval Mix – you can also make your own four thieves essential oil here and use that, too!)
- 5 drops of peppermint essential oil
Loving Preparation – DIY Thieves Hand Sanitizer
- Add the aloe gel, glycerin, and rubbing alcohol to a glass bowl and use the spatula to mix thoroughly.
- Next, add the Thieves and peppermint essential oil and mix them in well.
- Use the funnel to siphon the final mixture into the 4 oz pump bottle using the spatula as needed to help press it down the funnel and into the bottle. Tap the funnel to get every last drop.
- Cap the bottle closed and label for use!
Simply apply a small pump of homemade Thieves hand sanitizer into your palm and spread it evenly over your hands until completely absorbed.
You’ll notice a soft feel as well as a wonderful cinnamon and spice aroma when used.
When you have guests over, you can keep the bottle in a visible place (perhaps prettily labeled and displayed) for anyone who wishes to stave off any extra germs during their visit.
I like to keep one handy in the guest bathroom as well out in the open where people can easily see it and use it if desired.
The hand sanitizer smells so good that once your guests try it they will share it will other friends and family members which helps lessen the number of germs being spread.
It’s one of my favorite simple recipes to have on hand during the holiday season and well through the cold winter months.
Have you ever made your own Thieves hand sanitizer? How did you like it? Please share in the comments below!
You may also enjoy reading:
Four Thieves Carpet and Mattress Freshener
How to make Four Thieves Spray
Pumpkin Spice Foaming Hand Soap
Homemade Hand Sanitizer – Alcohol-Free!
Four Thieves Foaming Hand Soap Recipe
Festive Four Thieves Candle Recipe
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure and disclaimer.