There are many great DIY toothpastes, tooth soap, tooth whitening, and mouthwash recipes out there, but what if you could make one awesome recipe that does all of these things? Yep! It’s totally possible so if you’re a minimalist or you just don’t have room for a bunch of different oral care recipes, this is the one for you!
What is Brushing Rinse?
So what exactly is brushing rinse anyway? Well, imagine being able to thoroughly clean, whiten, freshen your breath, kill bacteria, heal canker sores and other oral wounds, detox your body, reverse receding gums, AND cure tooth sensitivity all in one? Sounds great to me! What’s even better is you can replace toothpaste, whitening treatments, and mouthwash with just one recipe.
DIY Brushing Rinse Recipe
Brushing rinse will allow you to do all of these things with just a few simple ingredients:
• 1 cup distilled water
• 1 cup aloe juice (I like this brand)
• 1 cup food grade hydrogen peroxide (this is the one I use)
• 2 TB 30ppm Colloidal Silver (I like this brand)
• 20 drops four thieves essential oil blend
• 20 drops Peppermint essential oil
DIY Brushing Rinse – Loving Preparation
• First pour the aloe juice into a sterilized glass jar or glass bottle (surprisingly an olive oil bottle works well for this) of your choice and add in the Thieves and Peppermint essential oils
• Stir well to combine
• Next, slowly add in the distilled water and food grade hydrogen peroxide (be careful as there may be some foaming action here)
• Now add in the colloidal silver and gently mix the ingredients together (I use a chopstick)
The important part to remember here is that everything is sterilized. If you skip this step, the peroxide will keep bubbling so make sure your utensils and the vessel you’re using to store the brushing rinse in is very clean. ALSO important…DO NOT screw on the lid tightly if you use a glass jar or bottle to store this in or it might explode.
- • 1 cup distilled water
- • 1 cup aloe juice
- • 1 cup food grade hydrogen peroxide
- • 2 TB 30ppm Colloidal Silver
- • 20 drops Thieves essential oil
- • 20 drops Peppermint essential oil
- First pour the aloe juice into a sterilized glass jar or glass bottle (surprisingly an olive oil bottle works well for this) of your choice and add in the Thieves and Peppermint essential oils
- Stir well to combine
- Next, slowly add in the distilled water and food grade hydrogen peroxide (be careful as there may be some foaming action here)
- Now add in the colloidal silver and gently mix the ingredients together (I use a chopstick)
- The important part to remember here is that everything is sterilized. If you skip this step, the peroxide will keep bubbling so make sure your utensils and the vessel you’re using to store the brushing rinse in is very clean. ALSO important...DO NOT screw on the lid tightly if you use a glass jar or bottle to store this in or it might explode.
Why Brushing Rinse Works
Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide
The use of food grade hydrogen peroxide is a key component in this recipe as it is able to notably whiten teeth in the first week of using this rinse. Hydrogen peroxide is also great for killing bad oral bacteria which will help heal wounds quickly, reverse receding gums, as well as help close gum pockets by keeping the surface of your teeth clean and bacteria free.
I have also noticed that I don’t get morning breath anymore when using this rinse which is, of course, a huge plus!
I should also mention the detoxing benefits of using food grade hydrogen peroxide in this recipe. As I’m sure you’ve heard, our bodies detox the most while we’re asleep. A lot of that toxic waste actually ends up in our mouth by the time we wake up in the morning! YUCK! When you use this brushing rinse first thing after you get out of bed, the bacteria and toxins that have accumulated won’t have a chance to get reabsorbed into the body.
In essence, your morning breath problems and perhaps even a cold or two can be avoided!
Aloe juice is great for gum health because it is very astringent so it will actually tighten and tone the gums. Aloe is also known to kill the bacteria that causes gingivitis and will help prevent plaque buildup.
If you have bad breath problems, this is a great way to prevent bacteria from sticking to teeth and the soft tissues of your mouth.
Aloe juice is also great for treating bleeding gums when used on a regular basis.
One of the best remedies for treating colds, flu, and infection, colloidal silver also boasts some great oral care benefits. With daily use, you can prevent cavities, heal an abscess, get rid of plaque, and reverse receding gums and gingivitis.
Colloidal silver is so powerful, it will keep your breath practically odorless for a whole day!
Four Thieves Essential Oil Blend
Not only does this oil taste and smell amaaaazing, it is also incredibly healing for teeth and gums.
Here are the many ways Four Thieves can help:
• Kills odor causing bacteria
• Quickly freshens the breath and keeps it that way for hours after
• Helps restore gum strength by eliminating bleeding gums with continued use
• Reduces swelling
• Reduces pain associated with toothache, dry sockets, sores and wounds, and other irritations (this is because of the clove!)
• Great when used in a gargle to help prevent and heal sore throats
• Helps re-mineralize the teeth
• Helps keep pockets clean and promotes healing
Learn how to make four thieves blend here.
Peppermint Essential Oil
I love adding peppermint essential oil to this rinse mainly for the fresh feeling it gives after swishing with it. It’s also really great for killing bacteria and will actually inhibit the biofilm that is responsible for creating cavities. Peppermint is also mildly whitening.
How to Use Brushing Rinse
This is the best part! All you have to do is swish about ½ oz of brushing rinse for at least 30 seconds upon waking. This will dislodge bacteria and help pull toxins from your mouth. The force of swishing will also get the rinse in between teeth and into any existing cavities, wounds, or pockets allowing it to clean, heal, and allow your teeth to re-mineralize.
Before spitting it all out, leave some in your mouth so that you can use what’s left to brush your teeth and tongue thoroughly.
When you’re finished, just spit it out and rinse with water if desired. I actually prefer to use another small amount of brushing rinse to use as a final rinse for my teeth. I do this because I enjoy the clean feel it leaves and I want the food grade peroxide to get to work on my stains for a longer period of time.
Use this rinse twice day and even after meals for a clean and fresh feeling mouth!
As an added perk, you will notice that your teeth will begin to brighten very nicely after the first week of using it!
Can’t Make Your Own? I’ve Got You Covered!
If you can’t get your hands on your own brushing rinse ingredients, my homemade version is based on Essential Oxygen’s Brushing Rinse which you can buy HERE. It has a few more essentials and works great! I highly recommend it when you’re not able to make your own.
If you’re interested in making other oral care products, please check out these articles below:
12 Natural Toothpaste Alternatives – The Nourished Life
Homemade Toothpaste Recipe – Small Footprint Family
DIY Remineralizing Toothpaste | The Paleo MamaThe Paleo Mama
Ditch Your Toxic Toothpaste! 10 DIY Toothpaste Recipes