Spring is here and with it comes a need for cleansing. I don’t know about you, but as soon as it’s warm enough to get some fresh air in the house I throw open the windows and roll up my sleeves in preparation for some much needed de-cluttering and deep cleaning around the house; but did you know our bodies need it too?
Toxins in our body may not take the form of dust, dirty dishes, or that pile of dirty laundry, but they do build up in much the same way; neglect, blocked up elimination pathways, overindulgence. It’s important to cleanse both our homes and our bodies this time of year and what better way to start the morning off with a fresh glass of charcoal lemonade.
Sounds scary I know! Its inky black color is enough to scare most sensible people away, but I swear to you it’s uplifting, it’s detoxifying, and it’s downright delicious. And hey, it’s GOOD for you ok?
The Health Benefits of Charcoal Lemonade
The Benefits of Lemon
The juice of fresh lemons has long been known to have amazing benefits for our health. Adding it to spring water and drinking it first thing in the morning will hydrate and energize the body. Lemon water is also known to really help things get moving (if you get my drift) so drinking it upon waking is the best way to stimulate the release of toxins.
Lemon also alkalizes us despite what a lot of people might think. Sure lemons are acidic but when we drink lemon water, it becomes alkaline in our bodies. What does this mean for our health? It means disease cannot thrive in an alkaline environment. The more we can balance our body’s alkalinity, the less chance there is for illness and disease.
When our bodies are too acidic we may feel fatigued even if we get plenty of sleep. It may be hard to get out of bed, or you may feel run down and need to take a nap even though it’s only 2PM. You may also feel like stress gets to you easily or you may find yourself snapping at others over small things. This is all because of toxic waste building up in our elimination pathways. It’s the perfect environment for ill health and unwanted invaders to manifest and take root. Acidity is the breeding ground for all illnesses. When we are too acidic we need to seek balance. One of the best ways to do this is by drinking lemon water daily. You can read more about the benefits of lemon water here.
The Benefits of Activated Charcoal
Charcoal is all the rage these days and has become a hot topic especially in the health and beauty industry popping up in anything from juice detox protocols to all manner of soaps, toothpastes, bath soaks, pore strips, and masks…for good reason, charcoal works!
Charcoal, also known as carbon, is incredibly absorbent. It’s also completely alkaline. When exposed to steam carbon becomes veeeery porous and is then known as activated charcoal. Since activated charcoal holds a negative charge, its millions of tiny pores are able to effectively bind themselves to the positive ions of toxins and draw them out of the body – a whopping 100 times its weight! When taken first thing in the morning, activated charcoal is able to grab the built up toxicity in your mouth and gut that accumulates overnight.
Imagine taking just half a tsp of this amazing supplement every morning…that’s A LOT of toxins leaving your system. This is the main reason why activated charcoal is used on patients who overdose on medications or who have severe food poisoning, it literally sucks up toxicity and carries it safely out of the body. Charcoal is also known to help relieve other digestive issues like gas, bloating, and general upset stomach so I always have it on hand when traveling.
*** Please note that you should never take activated charcoal if you take life supporting medications. If you do take it, please refrain from taking medicines, prescriptions, herbs, or supplements 2 hours before AND after taking activated charcoal.
Charcoal for Beauty
Activated charcoal has also made itself an effective skincare treatment. I’m sure you have seen the many popular products out there that contain this glorious ingredient.
Not only is activated charcoal great for pulling toxins out from the inside, it’s also great on the outside! Anyone who suffers from acne knows that a mask made with activated charcoal will quickly bring down the severity of breakouts. Simply mix it with manuka honey, a clay mask, or water and dab it on blemishes a few times a week for best results.
Use it as a scrub twice a week to help unclog pores and smooth uneven texture.
Another great use is oral care, particularly teeth whitening. Using activated charcoal is a much cheaper alternative than conventional teeth whitening treatments. All you have to do is dip your wet toothbrush (with or without your favorite toothpaste) in some activated charcoal, brush, then rinse until all the residue is gone. Your teeth will be brighter and whiter after a few uses!
Energizing and Detoxifying Charcoal Lemonade Recipe
Now that you know why this lemonade is so good for your detox endeavors, it’s time for the recipe!
Here’s What You’re Gonna Need:
• 16oz spring water
• 1 organic lemon
• 1-2 TB Grade B Maple Syrup
• 1-2 capsules of activated charcoal
• 1 pinch of Himalayan salt
• 1 drop of Young Living Lemon Essential Oil (where to buy)
• Fresh bruised herbs like thyme, rosemary, or basil (optional)
• A tall glass
• A measuring cup
• Measuring spoons
• A strainer(optional)
• Glass straw(optional)
Loving Preparation– Charcoal Lemonade Recipe
• Begin by juicing the lemon into your spring water
• Next add the maple syrup and the Himalayan salt
• Mix together and pour ¾ of it into a tall glass with ice
• Mix to chill
• Next add the activated charcoal to the remaining lemonade and mix well
• Gently pour the mixture over the iced lemonade in your glass to create a pretty layer (see photo above for reference)
• Add your freshly bruised herb of choice if using
• Add 1 drop of Young Living Lemon Essential Oil (learn about the many uses of lemon essential oil here)
• Drink up and feel energized!
- • 16oz spring water
- • 1 organic lemon
- • 1-2 TB Grade B Maple Syrup
- • 1-2 capsules of activated charcoal
- • 1 pinch of Himalayan salt
- • 1 drop of Young Living Lemon Essential Oil
- • Fresh bruised herbs like thyme, rosemary, or basil (optional)
- • A tall glass
- • A measuring cup
- • Measuring spoons
- • A strainer(optional)
- • Glass straw(optional)
- • Begin by juicing the lemon into your spring water
- • Next add the maple syrup and the Himalayan salt
- • Mix together and pour ¾ of it into a tall glass with ice
- • Mix to chill
- • Next add the activated charcoal to the remaining lemonade and mix well
- • Gently pour the mixture over the iced lemonade in your glass to create a pretty layer (see photo above for reference)
- • Add your freshly bruised herb of choice if using
- • Add 1 drop of Young Living Lemon Essential Oil (learn about the many uses of lemon essential oil here)
- • Drink up and feel energized!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure and disclaimer.