Coconut oil offers a myriad of affordable, super healthy alternatives for
many all of your body care needs. This versatile superfood can be used not only for cooking but for a variety of natural applications.
I use it for everything! Literally everything. It’s that amazing!
Ways to Use Coconut Oil You've Never Thought of
Coconut oil is highly:
• And probably a bunch of other anti-somethings
Basically, it’s really great for almost anything ranging from healing cavities to treating candida. You can even use coconut oil mixed with baking soda to scrub down dingy surfaces, use it to polish wooden furniture, use it as a cooking oil, and even use it as a base for candles and lip balm, a natural acne treatment, spread over toast, thrown in smoothies….the list goes on and on.
If I could choose one ingredient for all my needs, it would be coconut oil.
Here are a few more uses of coconut oil:
- Balances blood sugar
- Balances hormones
- Burns fat
- Keeps skin moisturized
- Helps reduce cellulite
- Increases HDL while lowering LDL cholesterol
This is my favorite high-quality coconut oil.
5 Amazing Ways to Use Coconut Oil
1. As a Toothpaste
Using coconut oil as a toothpaste is one of the best ways to improve gum health, get rid of bad breath, eliminate plaque and tartar, and help heal cavities and tooth decay. Making a toothpaste out of it is super simple.
• Take ½ cup of coconut oil and put it into a non-reactive bowl
• Add 5-10 drops of essential oil (use less for wintergreen and cinnamon as they are very strong EOs)
• Mix well and pour into a clean glass jar (you can also whisk this mixture for a fluffier toothpaste)
How to Use-
• All you have to do is dip in your dry toothbrush. The coconut oil itself, as well as the essential oils, will prevent any bacteria from growing in your toothpaste, so don’t worry! However, if you get water into it, it may grow some germs.
If you live in a warmer climate, you may want to keep this is the fridge. However, it still works even when completely melted.
If you want some tooth polishing action, try this nice little recipe:
This toothpaste works great for daily stain management and keeping those pearly whites polished! The xylitol also helps prevent cavities.
• Mix all ingredients into a thick paste
• Transfer to a small jar
How to Use-
You can use a small utensil to transfer some toothpaste to your toothbrush, or, if your jar is shallow enough, just dip in your dry toothbrush.
2. Use it as a Natural Deodorant
Using coconut oil as a deodorant can be as easy as slapping it under your arms after a shower. But if you want to spruce it up a bit, try this recipe for more odor control:
What You’ll Need:
• 3 TB coconut oil
• ⅓ cup non-aluminum Baking Soda
• ⅓ cup Arrowroot Powder
• 10-12 drops of tea tree, lavender, sage, chamomile, or eucalyptus essential oils (anti-fungal)
• 10-12 drops of tea tree, rosemary, sandalwood, lavender, or sage essential oils (antibacterial)
• 2 TB pure Vitamin E oil
• Mix all ingredients thoroughly until it becomes a thick paste.
• Transfer into a shallow jar and apply with your fingertips (this recipe doesn’t work well in deodorant sticks, unfortunately)
• If the mixture separates (since coconut oil melts above 76 degrees), I recommend stirring it first to reincorporate everything and then apply it as usual
One great idea, if you don't want to touch coconut oil with your hands every day, is to put the fractionated oil with a few drops of essential oil into empty roll-on deodorant bottles. This works amazingly well!
3. Coconut Oil Moisturizer/ Body Oil
This is one of my absolute favorite ways to indulge in coconut oil. Your skin smells luscious, is super soft and supple, and has a youthful glow after slathering it on while your skin is still damp.
To use it as a body oil, simply apply the oil directly to your skin while in the shower. It melts in your hand and glides on like buttah! Not to mention it smells fantastic! You can even add essential oils to your coconut oil. My favorite combo right now is a great scent that inspires happiness and good mood.
To make it, you’ll need:
(Where to Buy Essential Oils for 24% off)
• Mix the essential oils in your coconut oil and allow to “age” for a few days before use.
• After washing, apply evenly to your whole body and enjoy the uplifting properties of neroli, grapefruit, and lemon.
Another great way to use coconut oil is whipped into a fluffy decadent body butter. You can use the same recipe mentioned above for this.
All you have to do is whisk it till fluffy, then apply it. Keep in a cool place as it might try to melt.
Alternatively, you can use my whipped body butter recipe.
4. As a Shaving Cream
This is a great way to save on shaving cream because we all know that even the natural ones can contain some questionable ingredients.
To shave with coconut oil, keep a jar of it in the shower and apply evenly to the skin. I find that it works best if you sort of slew off the extra water before applying it. Shave as you normally would and be sure to rinse the blade often to prevent any clogging.
No need for moisturizer afterward! The residual coconut oil will leave your legs touchably smooth. Rub in a bit more oil as an aftershave if you want a little extra moisturizing oomph.
5. As a Leave-in Conditioner
Forget buying those expensive over the counter de-frizz products and leave-in conditioners. Coconut oil has you covered. It works by sealing in moisture from the inside out, protecting hair from heat and environmental damage. It's also the only oil that can inufse the core of the hair shaft. \
Adding just a few drops to wet or dry hair with smooth it out, leaving your hair soft and silky.
I like adding it to my roots as a weekly scalp treatment, throughout my hair and then heated as a hair mask, or just applied to my ends to tame frizziness.
Add a few drops of essential oil for scented hair that lasts all day.
Have fun and good luck experimenting with coconut oil!
What are your favorite ways to use coconut oil? Please share them in the comments!
You may also enjoy reading:
DIY Coconut Oil Hair Treatment
Egg-Free Coconut Paleo Oatmeal
Cinnamon Coconut Custard Cake
Four Thieves Coconut Oil Deodorant
Eat More Coconut Oil:115 Delicious Real Food Coconut Oil Recipes...
Coconut Oil Shampoo Bar Recipe (Video Tutorial)