The summer heat has rolled in and for me, that means less restful sleep! Nothing short of running the air at night brings much relief (although I do have a fan that works really well), but that can be quite expensive even after just a few days. The summer also seems to be a time when my mind starts reeling off onto all sorts of tangents, so I find it hard to fall asleep and even harder to stay asleep. So, needless to say, I haven’t been sleeping well at all lately.
A Tea For Restful Sleep
For those of you out there experiencing similar insomniac issues, this is the herbal tea for you! This restful sleep tea will offer you the deepest sleep you’ve ever had. No other herbal tea has come close to this for me, it works that well.
The recipe for this tea is kind of half-hazard in my desperation to get some meaningful sleep, so it does contain quite a few ingredients all of which you can find on HERE. But let me just tell you… WOW! Even though this recipe doesn’t contain the classic herbal sleep tea ingredients like valerian, hops, passionflower, milky oats, or kava kava, it brings soothing yet vivid dreams and a calming deep slumber by preventing sleep disturbances like digestive upset and allows you to relax with a quiet mind. This tea would be great for deep meditation too, just use half the dose.
Its flavor is ethereal, light, and especially delicious when enhanced with a splash of vanilla. Inhale its aroma deeply with every sip to experience its full effects.
I really have to keep myself from drinking it during the day! It’s that good.
So without further ado…
The Best Tea for Restful Sleep Recipe
• 2 TB of Peppermint Leaf – relaxation, lowers stress, releases muscle tension, soothes digestion and upset stomach
• 2 TB Chamomile Flowers – slightly sedative, calming, a relaxing sleep aid, soothes digestive upset, relieves nervousness
• 2 TB Rose Petals – fragrant and soothing, anti-depressant, soothing nervine, brings love and warmth to your mug
• 1 TB dried Orange Peel – soothing digestive aid that prevents sleep disturbances, wonderful flavor
• 1 TB Hibiscus Flowers – cooling, regulates body temperature, soothes restlessness
• 1 TB Chrysanthanthemum Flowers – ancient Chinese remedy for insomnia, calming, and cooling
• 1 TB Lavender Flowers – mild sedative, anti-stress, calming, supports restful sleep
• 1 TB Mugwort – relaxing nervine, eases tension, lifts depression, calms the mind, vivid dreams
• 1 TB Skullcap – sedative, slows and calms the heart, relieves nervous tension, calming
• ½ TB Sweet Cinnamon Bark – regulates blood sugar, eases digestive disturbances, eases tension, tastes awesome
• ½ TB Damiana (or 1 dropperful of tincture) – eases anxiety and tension, anti-depressant, balances hormones
• ½ TB Calendula Flowers – soothes emotional upset, moodiness, irritability, very calming, harmonizing, centering
• ¼ tsp (or less) of Vanilla Extract added to the brewed tea – calming, promotes restful sleep
• 1 generous spoonful of honey to taste (optional)
• A splash of raw cream (optional)
Loving Preparation – Tea For Restful Sleep
• Bring some spring water to a boil
• Pour the boiled water over 1-2 tsp of restful sleep tea mixture and steep for as long as possible (at least 5-10 minutes). ***For meditation, steep 1/4- 1/2 tsp for 5-10 minutes
• Sip an hour or two before bedtime
• Add honey, cream, and vanilla if desired
This recipe will make about 20-24 good sized mugs of tea.
Feel free to substitute ingredients with other relaxing nervines you may have on hand like lemon balm, valerian, hops, kava kava, milky oats, passionflower, cardamom, linden, catnip, lemon verbena, etc!
You can easily throw together which ingredients you have on hand if you don’t have the ones mentioned in the recipe to create a soothing bedtime tea. What’s also cool about these types of sleepy teas is that all of the ingredients listed in the above recipe can be used as single herb teas(though skullcap tea would be pretty nasty tasting) and still offer their restful benefits.
[yumprint-recipe id=’77’]I hope you enjoy.
What are your favorite herb combinations to make tea for restful sleep?
For more tea recipes, check out the article below:
How to Make Earl Grey Tea Using Essential Oils
How to Make Sweet Rose London Fog Tea
The Easiest Ginger Tea Recipe
The Best Ginger Tea I Ever Did Make
Simple Throat Coat Tea
Cold Bustin’ Elderberry Tea
For more sleep-related articles, look below:
Essential Oils for Sleep
How to Improve Sleep with Essential Oils
How to Make Sleepy Time Gelee
Natural Sleep Aids- The Herbalist’s Way
SIMPLE SLEEPY TIME RECIPE FOR FALLING ASLEEP AND STAYING ASLEEP!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure and disclaimer.