It’s no secret that essential oils are all the rage these days, and for good reason! Their healing and supportive properties allow us to get restful sleep, soothe away pain, boost our energy, mitigate negative emotions, relieve stress, and can even help balance our hormones. It seems there is little essential oils can’t do when aiding our bodies on a mental, emotional, and physical level.
These potent plant essences can be used in a multitude of ways, some of which have spanned hundreds of years. However, one method of use that wasn’t available back in the days of Julius Cesar is the method of diffusion. Sure, they could “diffuse” oils via water and flame, but what they didn’t know is that the medicinal value of essential oils is greatly diminished by heat.
Thus, in the search for way in which to protect the integrity of the oils, the first ventilation, ultrasonic, and nebulizing diffusers were invented just a few short years ago. Using these unheated methods allowed the user to protect and utilize the therapeutic qualities of essential oils.
7 Benefits of Using an Essential Oil Diffuser
I’m sure you’ve come across a staggering selection of essential oil diffusers on your journey to better health. For one, they can make beautiful centerpieces in our homes, offer soothing color therapy, and of course, deliver super fine particles of unadulterated essential oils into the air of our living spaces.
Here are my top 7 benefits of using an essential oil diffuser in your home:
1. Diffusing Essential Oils Promotes Better Sleep
Certain essential oils like cedarwood, lavender, valerian, sweet orange, and roman chamomile have the ability to exert a powerful calming effect on the mind and body through their influence on the limbic region of the brain. Diffusing these oils 20-30 minutes before bedtime is known to dramatically improve and support the body’s natural sleep cycles and combat sleep issues like insomnia, racing thoughts, and stress.
Restful Sleep Diffuser Recipe
2. Diffusing Essential Oils Boosts Our Resilience Against Cold and Flu
Using powerful anti-microbial essential oils like eucalyptus, oregano, cinnamon, clove, sweet orange, ravensara, and peppermint work by stimulating the production of white blood cells and boosting the immune system. When diffused into the air, these oils kill airborne bacteria and viruses, freshen a stale sickroom, and offer relief by supporting the respiratory system.
Diffusers are also great for use during times of cold and flu because they put much needed humidity into the air which can help relieve dry sinuses and cough.
Diffuse the blend below for 20-30 minutes every few hours to help shorten the duration of a cold. This blend is also great for preventing cold and flu.
Immunity Booster Diffuser Recipe
3. Diffusing Essential Oils Clears the Lungs and Supports Respiratory Health
Diffusing essential oils like eucalyptus, peppermint, spearmint, rosemary, pine, and other conifer oils can help reduce inflammation in the lungs and cut through heavy mucus during respiratory colds. They’re great for relieving congestion and for soothing respiratory illnesses such as asthma, emphysema, CPOD, chronic bronchitis, and allergies.
These EOs work best when diffused for 20-30 minutes every 4-6 hours.
Respiratory Support Diffuser Recipe
4. Diffusing Essential Oils Hones Focus and Cognitive Function
Diffusing essential oils like rosemary, basil, cardamom, lemon, cypress, helichrysum, sandalwood, lavender, and frankincense helps promote deep concentration, mental clarity, and improved focus. Oils that are high in sesquiterpenes like frankincense and sandalwood are especially good for increasing oxygen and blood flow in the pineal, pituitary, and hypothalamus glands which help support mental health and acuity. These essential oils are also known to help clear brain fog and keep receptor sites in the brain free of congesting petrochemicals.
Diffuse the blend below for 20-30 minutes when your mind feels fuzzy and needs a pick-me-up.
Brain Fog Reliever Diffuser Recipe
5. Diffusing Essential Oils Supports Emotional Health
No matter what mood you’re in, essential oils can help mitigate or elevate certain emotions depending on your needs. They can help you de-stress, feel energized, cheer you up, eliminate anger, instill a positive atmosphere, or put you in the holiday spirit.
Supporting my emotional health is one of my favorite ways to use an essential oil diffuser and I am constantly experimenting with different blends based on my mood.
Here are a few single oils and their properties to help get you started:
• Balsam fir – recharges vital energy and instills a sense of strength and vitality
• Black pepper – increases energy in all systems of the body (use just 1-2 drops in a diffuser)
• Grapefruit – counteracts depression and destructive thoughts and circulating negativity
• Lavender – relaxing, uplifting, stress-relieving, mentally clarifying
• Lemon – cheerful, uplifting, dispels anger and feeling of negativity
• Nutmeg – gently stimulates the adrenals and boosts energy (use just 1 drop in a diffuser)
• Spruce – removes emotional blocks and instills a sense of balance
• Sweet orange – encourages feeling of joy, happiness, and peace
• Tangerine – relieves anxiety and nervousness
Add 8-10 drops of the essential oil that resonates best with your needs and diffuse it for 20-30 minutes 2-3 times daily. Keep in mind that “hot” oils like cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, oregano, clove, etc. should only be used in 1-2 drop amounts as too much can irritate the mucus membranes.
For a more in-depth approach, check out my back to school article which has a wide spectrum of emotions and the best essential oils to use for each.
6. Diffusing Essential Oils Offers a Safe Alternative to Candles
Unless you’re buying pure beeswax candles or those made with 100% natural waxes like coconut, hemp, or soy, chances are they’re probably toxic! Many candles both scented and unscented are often made with toxic paraffin wax that gives off dangerous vapors like benzene and toluene – the same vapors found in diesel fuel exhaust!
It is said that up to 30% of candles have wicks that contain heavy metals which when burned, become airborne and easily inhaled. Candles with lead-core wicks are said to emit 5 times the amount of lead into the air considered hazardous.
Not only that, scented candles often contain artificial scents and dyes that when burned, release even more harmful chemicals into the air causing an array of hormonal, behavioral, and general health related issues.
Using an essential oil diffuser to naturally scent your home is an incredibly effective and healthy way to enjoy the scents you love. You can often find tons of recipes that can replicate almost any scent you desire.
For instance, you can make blends that remind you of different holidays and seasons, favorite perfumes (learn how to blend your own here), and places you’ve visited (think the redwoods, an orange grove, or a lavender field).
What’s fun is experimenting with different oils to create practically any scent you want! And the best part? You can change the scent as often as you like when using a diffuser unlike burning a candle.
7. Diffusing Essential Oils Repels Insects
Using essential oils like peppermint, tea tree, rosemary, lemongrass, geranium, or citronella in a diffuser in your home or on the patio can help repel biting and stinging insects. I find it especially helpful to diffuse lemon essential oil in my room during the summer months to ward myself against mosquitos and flies that may have snuck into the house.
Diffuse the blend below in 20-30 minutes intervals when dining outside or for 20-30 minutes every few hours while indoors to help repel bothersome insects.
Bug Repellent Diffuser Recipe
My Current Favorite Essential Oil Diffuser and a Give Away!
Now that you know the many benefits of diffusing essential oils, I want to tell you about one of the best diffusers I’ve used thus far (and I’ve used a lot of them!).
Currently, I am REALLY loving my Levoit Essential Oil Diffuser.
Here’s what makes it great:
1. The base of the diffuser is made of beech wood and has engraved touch control buttons giving it a luxurious yet natural feel. This is great because every other diffusers I have used have been made of plastic material so it’s nice to have a more natural looking option.
2. The top half of the diffuser is made of frosted glass that emits a lovely glow as it cycles through an ambient color pallet. You can also see a nice rippling effect from the water during use which is especially relaxing to look at while winding down. It really reminds me of a luxurious spa experience.
3. It’s ultrasonic, meaning it uses ultra-rapid vibration to disperse the essential oils into the air without the use of heat. However, unlike other diffusers I’ve used, this one has a nice strong output of mist, ensuring that the essential oils actually make it into the air instead of billowing over table it’s sitting on.
4. The scent of the essential oils “whole” and seem to last longer. I have used other diffusers where the sent only lasts 20 minutes before losing potency and its true scent. This diffuser seems to keeps essential oils whole during diffusion without some of the lighter constituents of the EO evaporating too quickly before the heavier constituents.
5. It operates quietly yet has a pleasant soft bubbling sound from the water in the diffuser. I find it incredibly relaxing!
6. It’s easy to use – simply add water and essential oils to the diffuser, use the touch controls on the front to start the color cycle, pause on any color, or well as turn off the colors altogether.
7. Looks great no matter where I put it in my house!
WIN a Levoit Essential Oil Diffuser!
So, I have basically been obsessed with my Levoit Diffuser! It’s high quality, has a lovely natural design, and it’s super easy to use. And, since I love this diffuser so much, I have the opportunity to host a giveaway for you!
Please enter below. The winner will be selected on August 15th at 12am PST.
***The winner will have 24 hours to claim their prize in the comments section below!***
You may also enjoy reading:
How to Choose The Best Essential Oil Diffuser
The Amazing Health Benefits of Himalayan Salt Inhalers
MONQ Personal Essential Oil Diffuser Review
The Benefits of Sprouting + A How To
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure and disclaimer.