For those of us with sensitive acne-prone skin, it can be a challenge finding a gentle face wash that doesn’t irritate or over dry our skin.
As you probably already know, most commercial cleansers contain a slurry of emulsifiers and sulfates that strip the skin’s natural oils and destroy its natural protective barrier. To put it simply, these cleansers (even most of the natural ones!) are just too harsh for us sensitive skin types.
The good news is there are many alternatives that you can make at home in your own kitchen that are both safe and effective. The only drawback for some people is that this face wash recipe does not leave your skin with a squeaky clean feel… but guess what? That’s a good thing! Any cleanser that leaves your skin feeling squeaky is too strong for your skin type. You might think that using something as simple as clay and honey won’t actually clean your skin, but they do. I think you will be surprised by how soft and moisturized your skin feels after using this cleanser.
Even if you don’t have sensitive or acne-prone skin, you can still benefit greatly from switching to a natural homemade alternative.
Here are some of the benefits:
• Inflammation will NOT be provoked
• Skin will not be left feeling “squeaky” clean, too dry, flaky, or tight
• It’s super gentle
• It’s non-toxic
• It’s CHEAP!
Using a gentle homemade cleanser won’t cure your acne, but it will definitely improve it since you won’t be bathing it in chemicals anymore.
So without further ado, let’s get to it!
Natural Clay and Honey Face Wash Recipe
This face wash is so easy to make and will keep indefinitely so long as no water gets in it.
To avoid this from happening, simply scoop out a small portion with a clean dry spoon as needed.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• 1 small jar (I like using shallow wide mouth jars like this )
• 1 glass bowl for mixing
• Enough honey to fill your jar ¾ of the way
• Rhassoul, Kaolin, French Green, or Bentonite clay
• Lavender or Tea Tree essential oil
Loving Preparation – Clay and Honey Face Wash
• Mix 1-2 TB of clay with ¼ cup of honey (my favorite is this one, but if you want to make this face wash even more powerful, use manuka honey)
• Stir well until completely mixed using a fork or a whisk
• Once mixed, add your essential oils one drop at a time. Find the strength that appeals to you. (I like adding 5 drops of tea tree and 2 drops of lavender)
• Mix well and pour into your jar of choice
I encourage you to read this post if you want to learn about which essential oils are best for your skin type.
• Scoop out a small amount with a spoon or small cosmetic spatula and set aside
• Wet your face with warm water to help “open” the pores and loosen impurities
• Massage your clay and honey face wash in a circular motion all over your face and neck for at least 1 full minute
• Once finished you can either rinse it off with warm water and pat dry or let it sit for 20 minutes as a nice mask
• Use daily
The clay will help draw toxins from the skin and calm inflammation. Depending on which clay you use the benefit you’ll experience will be slightly different.
[yumprint-recipe id=’69’]For Example:
Rhassoul Clay is known for its ability to dry and break up blackheads better than any other clay. It’s incredibly exfoliating and is great for sensitive acne prone skin. (you can get rhassoul clay HERE.)
Bentonite Clay is the strongest most penetrating clay. It is best used for acne prone skin types and is too strong to use for those with sensitive skin. This clay is good for toning and tightening the pores and pulling impurities and toxins from the skin. (you can buy bentonite clay HERE.)
You can even blend different clays together to make an extra special clay face wash. Experiment and have fun!
Have you ever used a clay and honey face wash before? Please share in the comments!
You may also enjoy reading:disclosure and disclaimer.