Ever wondered how to get rid of a pimple fast? I know that most of us acne sufferers have, but are there any tried and true remedies out there that actually work?
I’ve received a few questions asking if I know of any such remedies, and to tell the truth, it’s hard to say. This is because everyone is different in terms of:
• How much water do you drink on a daily basis?
• What kind of diet do you follow
• How old are you?
• What type of acne are you experiencing?
• Are you taking certain medications?
• Do you have food or environmental allergies?
• Are you in good shape?
• Do you have an impaired immune system?
• Where does the acne occur?
All of these questions and probably a few more have to be considered when you’re trying to get rid of a pimple fast. Everyone will be at different points of the spectrum.
However, there are a few remedies that have worked well for friends, family, and co-workers that might work out for you too!
Natural Remedies that Get Rid of a Pimple Fast
1. Don’t Pick Your Skin!
This step can really make a difference! If you’re poking and prodding your acne, it’s going to look ten times worse than it did before, so please stop! The point of this article is to help your acne look better, and picking really isn’t going to help you…especially if you now have to really layer on that concealer.
I would only “hesitantly” recommend any form of picking if the whitehead is REALLY ready to be lanced. Otherwise, leave it alone. It will be much easier to cover with mineral powder if there isn’t a big scab, wound, or too much hyperpigmentation from squeezing to cover up.
The best way I’ve found to greatly reduce the appearance of a pimple is to detox before your upcoming event, whether it be a date, prom, a wedding, or any other circumstance where you want to look your best.
The best way to start gently detoxing your system is to drink a large glass of fresh lemon water every morning when you wake up.
This will help flush toxins from your system upon waking up in the morning. It literally gets things moving, so expect to pass some toxins. If you don’t end up having a bowel movement within the hour of drinking lemon water, then drink another glass to help “move” things along. If this still doesn’t work, then you may be a bit dehydrated and should increase your intake of water.
Being dehydrated can definitely cause acne because it causes constipation, so be sure to drink up. I like to drink my detox lemonade recipe every morning to keep up my hydration.
The next step to detox is to eat as clean as possible. This means that you should eat as many fresh fruits and vegetables as you can. If you can’t be bothered by eating tons of produce, then I suggest juicing it instead. This will increase your hydration, reduce inflammation in your body, and give your immune system a boost, all of which help get rid of acne. Keep in mind that you can still eat meats as long as their source is natural and clean. I like grass fed best. If you eat milk and cheese, try to cut back as much as possible to allow for optimum digestion which is very important for clear skin.
Try to avoid processed foods as much as possible, especially bread. These foods will actually increase inflammation, which is a big part of what a pimple is.
Drink some detox tea. I like the one by Yogi Tea called “Skin Detox”. It’s really the only one that tastes pleasant while being effective at the same time. I drink about 2-3 cups a day even if I don’t have any acne before an event. You can find this tea at your local health foods store like Wholefoods. Trader Joes doesn’t carry Yogi teas.
If you can, try to detox a couple days before your event at the very least. A week or more is usually best.
3. Use Facial Clays
I’ve written a few articles in the past about what type of clays are best for your skin type. You can check them out at these links:
Clays can REALLY make a difference in the appearance of a pimple, and what’s great is they work fast. My hands down favorite clay to use for a pimple that just won’t go away is Aztec Secret’s Bentonite Clay. This stuff is STRONG! So if you can really sensitive skin, you may want to try white or red clay instead.
Bentonite clay is known in many cultures as a very purifying clay. It pulls toxins from the skin and can even be consumed mixed with water to work its magic on the inside as well. You can find already mixed supplemental clay (the easiest option) at your local health foods store for pretty cheap. They don’t taste like much surprisingly and make a huge difference in the appearance of acne.
To make your own bentonite clay drink simply:
• Mix 1 tsp bentonite clay into 8 oz of water
• Let the mixture sit for about 20 minutes, or until the clay has dissolved completely
• Mix well and drink
Keep in mind not to take bentonite clay within 3 hours of taking medications as it may cancel out its effects. I like to drink this either upon waking or a few hours before bed for best results. It can be taken twice a day.
To apply topically to help get rid of a pimple fast, simply:
• Mix equal parts raw apple cider vinegar with bentonite clay
• Apply in a thick layer to problem areas
• Let dry completely
• Rinse gently with warm water
• Apply a small amount of raw apple cider vinegar to the pimple (you can dilute this if you’re sensitive) and allow to dry completely
You can substitute any clay for topical use with this method.
4. Take Supplements
The best supplement for preventing big breakouts is by far, zinc (10-22mg 1x daily).
Zinc supports and nourishes the skin and helps heal damaged and inflamed tissues and is very effective in treating acne. Zinc does this by reducing the amount of sebum produced, and therefore reducing the severity of breakouts.
I suggest taking a zinc supplement daily to help heal current acne and to help prevent future breakouts.
Evidently, you can also apply zinc topically to help prevent blackheads! I have really been liking the zinc serum by The Ordinary for this purpose and I encourage you to check it out!
5. Use Essential Oils
Essential oils are incredibly potent and effective when it comes to healing acne naturally. They can help reduce or eliminate inflammation, reduce redness, kill acne-causing bacteria, balance sebum production, and help heal existing blemishes.
Some of my favorite essential oils for acne include:
- Tea tree essential oil – kills acne-causing bacteria
- Lavander essential oil – reduces redness
- Lemon essential oil (only use at night! Read more about phototoxic essential oils here) – brightens hyperpigmentation
- Frankincense essential oil – heals scars
- Manuka essential oil – kills acne-causing bacteria and restores the skin
- German chamomile essential oil – heals blemishes, reduces inflammation, and reduces redness
- Geranium essential oil – reduces oil production
Other Topical Remedies
• Aluminum free baking soda mixed with water to form a paste applied to the pimple overnight
• Turmeric mixed with milk to form a paste applied to problem areas for 20-30 minutes
• Manuka honey applied as a spot treatment. Keep on the affected area as long as possible
• Powdered orris root mixed with honey applied to the pimple overnight
• Aloe vera gel mixed with 1 drop essential oil (like tea tree or lavender) applied overnight
• Apply a steeped green tea bag that has cooled to the affected area as a poultice a few times per day
• Epsom salt diluted in water, then applied to the pimple a few times per day
• Mixing equal parts cinnamon with manuka honey applied to the pimple for 20-30 minutes
These little remedies will help with appearance only if applied gently and often. The only way to get rid of a pimple fast is to be gentle with it and don’t pick, otherwise, these remedies won’t make a difference.
Things that you should NEVER Apply to a Pimple
• Toothpaste- this will make the pimple worse and possibly burn your skin. (refer to my post about why toothpaste is bad for acne here)
• Rubbing alcohol- is too drying and will irritate your skin, making acne worse due to increased sebum production. You may, however, use it as a drying lotion treatment on unopened pimples.
• Too many remedies at once- This includes over the counter stuff! If you keep slathering on everything you can think of to make a pimple go away, you’re only going to make it look worse and last longer.
If you follow a simple remedy and relax, the pimple will go away much faster than stressing over it. If you don’t pick or overwhelm your skin with too many lotions and potions, even if the pimple is still big, you will be able to cover it with mineral makeup quite easily if nothing else works.
Keep in mind that these remedies won’t work for everyone! If there are any remedies you know of that have worked, please leave them in the comments for others to try out =)
You may also enjoy reading:
Hyperpigmentation Reducing Acne Serum
How to Treat Hormonal Acne Naturally
Healing Acne- The Herbalist’s Way Part 1
Natural Acne Spot Treatments That Really Work!
The Best Essential Oils for Your Skin Type
Are Papaya Enzymes the Answer to Banishing Red, Splotchy, Uneven Skin Tone?
Essential Oils for Hormonal Acne
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure and disclaimer.