One of the best ways to soak up oil from the skin is to use ground oatmeal as a soothing facial mask. Its absorbent qualities quickly reduce excess sebum production, leaving your complexion smooth, bright, and matte looking. Oatmeal is also very moisturizing so it tricks oily skin into producing less oil.
Since oatmeal contains both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, using an oatmeal face mask will help reduce irritation and redness and soothe inflamed, sensitive, angry looking acne breakouts.
It also pairs as a lovely gentle exfoliant when you rinse it off!
Oatmeal’s use in skin care dates back hundreds of years and can be found in most soothing lotions, soaps, and bath mixtures today. I have been using this oatmeal face mask twice a week and have noticed a big difference in the amount of oil my skin produces and the amount of moisture my skin retains after use.
It’s so gentle, you could even use it daily to help reduce redness and calm a particularly aggressive breakout.
Some other oatmeal mask benefits include:
- Soothing irritated skin
- Reducing dryness
- Rebalancing acidic skin
- Protects the outermost skin barrier
- Cleanses without stripping beneficial oils
- Reduces inflammation
- Heals acne due to saponin content that helps remove dirt and oil from the pores
- Evens out skin tone and texture
- Exfoliates dead skin cells
Be sure to check out my video below on how to make a very simple yet effective oatmeal face mask using just four ingredients!
Soothing Oatmeal Face Mask
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• 3 TB Powdered (ground) oatmeal
• 2-3 tsp strong green tea
• 1 tsp local raw honey (for vegans, mash up some avocado or use plant yogurt)
• 2-3 drops tea tree essential oil or essential oil of your choice that is good for healthy skin like frankincense, rose geranium, lavender, etc. (get high-quality essential oils HERE for 24% off)
Loving Preparation – Simple Oatmeal Face Mask for Oily Skin
• Grind your Rolled Oats (this is important because you want the oatmeal to be as absorbent as possible. You can use a coffee grinder for this.)
• Mix in the warm tea
• Add the honey and mash the ingredients until gooey
• Add the essential oil and stir
• Apply to freshly cleansed skin in an even layer
• Leave on the oatmeal mask for 20 min. or until dry
• Rinse with warm water (you can exfoliate while rinsing)
• Pat dry and apply your oils or natural moisturizer if desired
You can also use colloidal oatmeal for this face mask if you have it on hand.
Additionally, you can mix ground oatmeal with honey and apply it to especially irritated skin and leave it on for at least 30 minutes. Try Manuka honey for a more medicinal effect!
[yumprint-recipe id=’91’]I recommend using this mask a few times per week since it helps balance acidic skin, tightens pores, and reduces redness and oiliness after the first application.
I love this simple oatmeal face mask and use it as an exfoliant if I have any left over the following morning (keep the excess in the fridge!).
Oatmeal is truly amazing for sensitive skin types. I hope you give it a try!
This mask is also great for soothing eczema, psoriasis, sunburns, and general inflammation of the skin.
What is your favorite oatmeal face mask recipe? Please share in the comments!
You may also enjoy reading:
6 Skincare Tips That Cleared My Acne Naturally
The Complete List of Comedogenic Oils
The Comedogenic Rating of 300+ Skincare Ingredients
Rejuvenating Matcha and Rose Face Mask
Homemade Skin Brightening Mask
Simple Fruit Masks for Beautiful Skin
Essential Oils for Dry Hair
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure and disclaimer.