One of the best ways to soak up oil from the skin is to use ground oatmeal as a soothing facial mask. Its absorbent qualities quickly reduce excess sebum production, leaving your complexion smooth, bright, and matte looking. Oatmeal is also very moisturizing so it tricks oily skin into producing less oil. Using an oatmeal face mask will reduce irritation and redness and soothe inflamed, angry looking acne breakouts. It also pairs as a lovely gentle exfoliant when you rinse it off!
Oatmeal’s use in skin care dates back hundreds of years and can be found in most soothing lotions, soaps, and bath mixtures today. I have been using this oatmeal face mask twice a week and have noticed a big difference in the amount of oil my skin produces. It’s so gentle, you could even use it daily to help reduce redness and calm a particularly aggressive breakout.
Be sure to check out my video below on how to make a very simple but very effective oatmeal face mask using just 4 ingredients!
Soothing Oatmeal Face Mask
What You’ll Need
• 3 TB Powdered (ground) oatmeal
• 2-3 tsp strong green tea
• 1 tsp local raw honey (for vegans, mash up some avocado or use plant yogurt)
• 2-3 drops tea tree essential oil or essential oil of your choice that are good for healthy skin like frankincense, rose geranium, lavender, etc. (get high quality essential oils HERE for 24% off)
Loving Preparation – Simple Oatmeal Face Mask for Oily Skin
• Grind your Rolled Oats (this is important because you want the oatmeal to be as absorbent as possible. You can use a coffee grinder for this.)
• Mix in the warm tea
• Add in the honey and mash the ingredients until gooey
• Add your essential oil and stir
• Apply to freshly cleansed skin in an even layer
• Leave on the oatmeal mask for 20 min. or until dry
• Rinse with warm water (you can exfoliate while rinsing)
• Pat dry, and apply your oils or natural moisturizer if desired
Check out my video tutorial below 🙂
- 3 TB Powdered (ground) oatmeal
- 2-3 tsp strong green tea
- 1 tsp local raw honey
- 2-3 drops tea tree essential oil or essential oil of your choice that are good for healthy skin like frankincense, rose geranium, lavender, etc.
- Grind your Rolled Oats (this is important because you want the oatmeal to be as absorbent as possible!)
- Mix in the warm tea
- Add in the honey and mash the ingredients until gooey
- Add your essential oil and stir
- Apply to freshly cleansed skin in an even layer
- Leave on the oatmeal mask for 20 min. or until dry
- Rinse with warm water (you can exfoliate while rinsing)
- Pat dry, and apply your oils or natural moisturizer if desired
- Use this mask at least twice a week for best results!
This mask is also great for soothing eczema, psoriasis, sunburns, and general inflammation of the skin.
What is your favorite oatmeal face mask recipe?
For more fun face mask recipes and clear skin tips, please check out the articles below:
6 Skincare Tips That Cleared My Acne Naturally
Rejuvenating Matcha and Rose Face Mask
Homemade Skin Brightening Mask
Simple Fruit Masks for Beautiful Skin
Kefir Mask For Your Face: Beneficial Bacteria For The Skin
Blemish Busting Bentonite Clay Face Mask
DIY Spot Diminishing Anti-Aging Face Mask
Flax Seed Beauty Gel
Peaches & Cream Moisturizing Mask
DIY Honey Pumpkin Face Mask
Anti-Aging Blueberry Enzyme Facial Mask
Here’s a link to my rice flour mask recipe and my Green Tea Tree Face Mask
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure and disclaimer.