Yes! It’s true!
In fact, not only can you balance hormones with carrots, you can also relieve PMS, decrease night sweats, clear acne, and balance gut flora!
It turns out that raw carrots contain very unique fibers that bind toxins, especially excess estrogen, and carry it safely out of the body. These fibers are also able to do this while NOT feeding bad bacteria in our gut, which is pretty impressive. This is important because an overabundance of bad bacteria causing havoc (aka endotoxicity, bloating, gas, constipation) in our gut overburdens the liver.
This burden often leads to a sluggish liver. Our liver is the organ that sifts through and removes excess estrogen but when it’s overburdened with toxicity from the foods we eat and the overabundance of stress in our lives, it is unable to keep up. Excess estrogen then becomes a huge problem causing symptoms like PMS, mood swings, acne, and more intense night sweats. It is also a major underlying cause for infertility.
Additionally, we are exposed to many xenoestrogens as well in our daily lives such as pesticides, plastics, and other chemicals. There are even phytoestrogens like soy that will also increase our estrogen production.
Consuming unhealthy oils like soy, corn, safflower, sunflower, and canola oil will also increase estrogen as inflammation increases in the body. The more inflammation, the more stressed the liver and thyroid become thus perpetuating a vicious cycle of hormone imbalance.
Regardless of how it happens, our estrogen levels are higher than ever before and it doesn’t just affect women. Men, especially males up to 18, face a particular dilemma with estrogen dominance including low muscle tone, erectile dysfunction, and “Moobs”.
Safely removing excess estrogen can balance hormones, improve your skin, reduce allergies, and boost a low thyroid…all with the help of the humble raw carrot.
How Can Carrots Detox Excess Estrogen?
Carrots have a very unique ratio of soluble and insoluble fiber that helps eliminate constipation, one of the leading causes of a backed up liver and imbalanced hormones. This fiber is also able to bind with excess estrogen and sweep it out of the digestive tract. It also prevents bound excess estrogen from getting reabsorbed in the gut, which can happen in people with sluggish digestion.
Hormone researcher Ray Peat found that consuming just one medium sized raw carrot a day for three days in a row significantly reduced bad estrogen.
Does this mean that carrot fiber can reduce normal estrogen levels? No. If your estrogen levels are normal then there won’t be excess estrogen in the digestive tract to bind to.
What about low estrogen levels? Will carrots further lower estrogen? Again, no. If anything, eating a raw carrot a day has the possibility of balancing out hormones back to normal levels. In fact, it is said that eating a raw carrot a day for 3 weeks has the potential to get rid of many types of hormonal imbalances including balancing thyroid function.
A fun fact, and the reason this whole article came up, is that Marilyn Monroe was known to eat a LOT of carrots with her daily evening meal.
“My dinners at home are startlingly simple. Every night I stop at the market and pick up a steak, lamb chops or some liver, which I broil in the oven. I usually eat four or five raw carrots with my meat, and that is all. I must be part rabbit; I never get bored with raw carrots.”
Is this how she kept her smooth complexion and curvy figure?
Interestingly enough, when eaten daily for a number of weeks, raw carrots also have the ability to reduce serum cholesterol by 11%! This means that carrot fiber also binds to excess fat increasing its excretion by 50%! No wonder Merilyn looked so good!
The Detox Power of Carrots
Detox is such a buzz word these days. It seems like everyone is on one, some more intense than others. But guess what? Detoxing doesn’t HAVE to be intense.
Besides ridding our bodies of excess estrogen, raw carrot fiber also binds to bacterial toxins preventing them from getting absorbed.
Carrots also contain mild antibacterial properties that help eliminate intestinal inflammation and keep pathogens at bay.
You don’t need invasive procedures like suppositories and colonics or extreme cleanses to detox efficiently. Just by eating one raw carrot a day can help your body to detox naturally, improve overall health, and support the colon without extreme protocols.
Aim for one medium size carrot per day, and don’t forget, the carrot must be raw and NOT juiced (juicing removes the fiber).
Can You Balance Hormones with Carrots?- A Delicious Recipe!
Of course, eating a raw carrot as is is just fine, but for those of you who would like to spruce things up a bit you’re in for a treat!
This simple carrot salad recipe is delicious. I crave it every day now and it’s so easy! This recipe serves one.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• One medium to large raw carrot
• Raw apple cider vinegar (to taste)
• 1 tsp cold pressed extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
• Freshly cracked black pepper
• Sea salt or Himalayan salt to taste
• A vegetable peeler, spiralizer, or cheese grater
You can get many of these ingredients for 25-50% retail at Thrive Market.
• Begin by preparing the carrot. If you’re using a peeler, simply peel the carrot completely into strips or “noodles”. If you’re using a spiralizer, simple cut the carrot through until you carrot noodles. If you’re using a cheese grater, simply coarsely grate the carrot.
• Next, add a splash or two of raw apple cider vinegar.
• Add some freshly cracked black pepper and a pinch of salt.
• Next, add in the oil of choice.
• Toss well and enjoy daily!
Some fun additions include:
• Dulse flakes
• Coconut aminos
• Fresh lemon or lime juice
• Dried fruit like cranberries, raisins, or apricots
• Garlic salt
• Fresh herbs
• Raw honey
• Sesame oil
• Red onion
• Crumbled farm cheese
- • One medium to large raw carrot
- • Raw apple cider vinegar (to taste)
- • 1 tsp cold pressed extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- • Freshly cracked black pepper
- • Sea salt or Himalayan salt to taste
- • A vegetable peeler, spiralizer, or cheese grater
- • Dulse flakes
- • Gomashio
- • Coconut aminos
- • Fresh lemon or lime juice
- • Dried fruit like cranberries, raisins, or apricots
- • Garlic salt
- • Fresh herbs
- • Raw honey
- • Cayenne
- • Sesame oil
- • Tuna
- • Red onion
- • Crumbled farm cheese
- Loving Preparation-
- • Begin by preparing the carrot. If you’re using a peeler, simply peel the carrot completely into strips or “noodles”. If you’re using a spiralizer, simple cut the carrot through until you carrot noodles. If you’re using a cheese grater, simply coarsely grate the carrot.
- • Next, add a splash or two of raw apple cider vinegar.
- • Add some freshly cracked black pepper and a pinch of salt.
- • Next, add in the oil of choice.
- • Toss well and enjoy daily!
- Eat daily!
When to Eat Your Carrot
It is best to eat your carrot as a snack between meals and for women, it is especially beneficial to eat raw carrot before ovulation to offset PMS symptoms.
Did you know that our humble carrot had so much health potential?
Here’s some more hormone related articles:disclosure and disclaimer.