How to Make a Warming Homemade Body Lotion
Lately I’ve been slathering on thick body butters and fluffy creams to help stave off dry winter skin. And while they work amazingly well these heavier solutions can be a bit of a pain to lug around when you need them which is why I enjoy the convenience of thinner lotions. It’s super handy to have a little squeeze bottle or pump bottle available to use without the greasy mess heavier options entail. Plus thinner lotion soaks in faster while you’re on the go.
I wanted to create a lotion that’s chock full of autumnal scents which include things that are warming and spicy and make you think of chai tea and homemade pie. I wanted this lotion to be hydrating enough to keep dry skin at bay yet light enough to work as a quick go to.
You can experiment with different essential oils, butters, carrier oils, and hydrosols to make a blend that suits your taste! You also won’t need anything special to whip this up just a simple hand mixer or immersion blender will do just fine.
Warming Homemade Body Lotion Ingredients
This recipe sounds like a lot of work but it really isn’t! it’s really simple and works well with substitutions so I really hope you give it a try.
Here’s what you’re going to need:
• A hand mixer or immersion blender
• 2 pyrex measuring cups (I used a medium size for both)
• 2 pots
• A container for storage like a pump bottle
• 2TB avocado oil (or carrier of choice like sweet almond, grapeseed, coconut oil, etc.)
• 2TB mango butter (you can sub shea butter)
• 2 tsp liquid lecithin
• 1 tsp beeswax pastilles
• 1TB emulsifying wax
• ½ cup of herbal hydrosol (like chamomile, rosemary, or rose…learn how to make your own here)
• ¼ high quality aloe vera gel
• ½ tsp pure vitamin e oil
• 10 drops black pepper essential oil
• 10 drops cardamom essential oil
• 10 drops clove essential oil (you can also sub cinnamon bark)
• 10 drops lavender essential oil
• 10 drops myrtle essential oil
You can also get amazing high quality essential oils HERE.
Loving Preparation- Warming Homemade Body Lotion Recipe
Alrighty! So this sounds like a lot of ingredients but I promise making this lotion is easy!
Here’s what you need to do:
1. What you want to do first is add the mango butter, avocado oil, liquid lecithin, beeswax, and emulsifying wax to one of the pyrex measuring cups
2. Fill both pots with about 1 ½ inches of water and place the pyrex cup with the wax/oil mixture into one of them
3. Next, add the herbal hydrosol and aloe gel to the other pyrex cup and place it in the same amount of water in the second pot
4. Bring both pots of water to a gentle simmer (try to make the heat even for both pots)
5. Once the wax/oil mixture has completely melted remove it from the pot of water carefully and pour the mixture into a large glass mixing bowl
6. Using a hand mixer/immersion blender, begin blending the wax/oil mixture
7. Slowly add the heated hydrosol/aloe mixture and continue mixing for another 3-5 minutes
8. Now you can add your essential oils!
9. Stir well and pour your fresh homemade lotion into a clean container like a pump bottle, squeeze bottle, or mason jar.
As this lotion cools it will thicken a bit more. If you keep it in the fridge it will last 3 months. If you keep it in a cool dark place it will last 3 weeks. Be sure to use it up because this lotion is devine!
This recipe makes about 8oz.
[yumprint-recipe id=’109′]For more awesome homemade body care recipes look below:
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure and disclaimer.