The toxic candles in my home are gone! I still have candles yes, like pure beeswax and coconut oil candles, but the artificially scented ones have long since been chucked out.
Ever since I really began getting into essential oils I’ve slowly begun to detest fake fragrances. Now when I smell a candle at my local home goods store or pass by the sickeningly sweet candle shops at the mall I nearly gag. You see, once you’ve smelled pure essential oils, REAL fragrances, there’s no turning back.
One of my favorite ways to add a subtle natural fragrance to my home is by running my cold-air-diffusers and while this option is wonderful, even the 8 hour diffusers can lose fragrance pretty quickly. This is because the essential oils float on the surface of the water and are diffused into the air completely in only a few hours. This is great for therapeutic use, but not so much for long-term fragrance. In order to prolong your favorite scent, you need a way to slow the release of essential oil into the air.
How to Make a Reed Diffuser
That’s where a reed diffuser comes into play! Not only are they beautiful, they’re super simple to make and last a long time; much longer than diffusing oils via cold-air-diffusion. Now don’t get me wrong, using a diffuser is a fantastic way to therapeutically use essential oils. If you have a cold or flu or you have trouble sleeping a diffuser is the way to go because you want to really breathe in those oils!
A reed diffuser is more like enjoying your favorite candle. It gives off a scent but it’s subtle and long lasting. I often prefer using a reed diffuser in my bathroom or near waste bins to keep things fresh but you can adorn any room you like with their lovely scent and beauty.
That’s the fun part! You can use any pretty bottle, vase, or artful glass container to make your reed diffuser.
Here’s what you’re going to need:
• A measuring cup like this one
• A funnel
• A pretty bottle with a narrow top (this keeps the scent longer!)
• Bamboo skewers
• Enough carrier oil to fill the glass bottle 1/3 (I like to use sweet almond, grape seed, or fractionated coconut oil)
• For every ¼ cup of carrier oil used, add 20 drops of essential oil (I use these essential oils)
Loving Preparation- How to Make a Reed Diffuser
• Begin by measuring out the carrier oil into your pretty bottle until you fill it 1/3
• For every ¼ cup of carrier oil, add 20 drops of essential oil. You can guesstimate here so don’t worry!
• Gently swirl the carrier/essential oil blend to mix
• Add the bamboo skewers and let them sit for one hour
• After the hour’s up flip the skewers over
• Viola! You’re finished!
Check out my reed diffuser video tutorial below:
Make sure to flip the skewers every few days to refresh the scent. Once your reeds have become overly saturated, you will need to replace them with new ones.
Also, depending on the carrier oil you used, how much essential oil was added, and the size of the glass bottle, you can expect the scent to last anywhere from 1-8 months.
I have small reed diffusers that can only hold ¼ cup of carrier oil with 20-25 drops of essential oil and mine last for about a month before I need to change it out or add more essential oils.
[yumprint-recipe id=’10’]These reed diffusers offer a noticeable aroma to any room you put them in but it’s not overpowering. I love having these around the house to wow guests. I always get questions about them!
Favorite Reed Diffuser Blends
So you have your materials but you’re at a loss for what scent to put in it. Well, I’ve got you covered!
Here are some of my all-time favorite reed diffuser blends that always get comments:
• Verbena + Mandarin + Cedarwood– this blend is amazing! I love putting this one in the bathroom. Mix by adding 7 drops of each essential oil to your carrier oil of choice.
• Lavender + Lemon + Mandarin + Rose + Neroli– This blend is great to keep at your desk. It instills a sense of calm in a stressful environment. Mix 6 drops each of the lavender, lemon, and mandarin with 1 drop each of rose and neroli.
• Grapefruit + Lavender + Sweet Orange– This blend is lovely to have near your morning roost as you drink coffee or tea. It’s uplifting and awakening. Mix 7 drops of each oil into your carrier oil of choice.
• Cardamom + Sweet Orange + Lemon + Peppermint– Another great blend to have with you at work for your desk. This blend gets you thinking! Mix 5 drops of each essential oil into your carrier oil of choice.
• Lemon + Peppermint + Spearmint + Ginger– This blend is great for keeping you awake! Add it to any space where you need to stay sharp! Mix 5 drops of each essential oil into your carrier oil of choice.
• Lavender + Bergamot + Cedarwood– Keep this blend in your bedroom for restful sleep and relaxation. Mix 8 drops each of lavender and bergamot with 4 drops of cedarwood into your carrier oil of choice.
• Balsam Fir + Juniper Berry + Cypress + Spearmint– For the hunky lumberjack in your life, keep this blend in his favorite space. Mix 5 drops of each essential oil into your carrier oil of choice.
All of these blends are for ¼ cup of carrier oil so make sure to up the essential oils as needed if you’re using more!
Simple Reed Diffuser Blends
Here are a few blends that are a piece of cake make that still smell amazing:
• Purification– This is a blend of powerful deodorizing essential oils that are perfect to keep in the bathroom or near the waste bin in the kitchen. All you need is 20-25 drops of purification and ¼ cup of carrier oil. Easy peasy!
• Stress Away– Need I say more? Add this powerful blend to your reed diffuser and keep in your office! Mix 20-25 drops of Stress Away into ¼ cup of carrier oil.
• Thieves– This blend not only combats airborne germs it also smells amazing! This blend is perfect to have as a centerpiece during the holidays. Mix 20-25 drops of Thieves essential oil into ¼ of carrier oil.
• Joy– This blend is uplifting and sensual so it’s perfect for romance. Mix 20 drops of Joy into ¼ cup of carrier oil.
• Lavender– This oil by itself is great for carrying you off into deep restful sleep. Keep this blend in your bedroom. Mix 20-25 drops of lavender essential oil with ¼ cup of carrier oil.
• Lemon– Keep this brightening oil near your workspace for a fresh uplifting scent. You can’t be stressed or grumpy when you smell lemon essential oil! Mix 20-25 drops of lemon essential oil with ¼ cup of carrier oil.
Get these oils HERE.
Have you made a reed diffuser before? What are your favorite blends?
Here’s another great article on how to make your own reed diffuser
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure and disclaimer.