One of my favorite scents during the fall and holiday season is pumpkin spice. It gives me this warm fuzzy feeling that reminds me of my grandmother’s homemade pumpkin pies on Thanksgiving. The delicious cocktail of aromatic spices instills within my mind an image of cold misty mornings, hot mugs of coffee, thick woolen sweaters, and the happiness that is being with family and friends this time of year.
It’s no wonder pumpkin spice is such a popular scent!
But did you know that it is also one of the most unnatural?
Many of the pumpkin scented products you can find at the store like room sprays, candles, bath and body products, etc., use a heck of a lot of synthetic fragrances to create their pumpkin spice scents. The toxic chemicals in these products are known to be harmful when inhaled or absorbed into the skin and can cause all sorts of havoc in the body, most notably hormone imbalances.
I already suffer from a few hormone related issues which really don’t need to be exacerbated, and so I started looking for a natural alternative for making my home smell like autumn.
How to Make a Pumpkin Spice Aroma Spray
The only thing I would not recommend is adding this blend to a bath in any way as it would irritate the skin. This is because a lot of the essential oils in this recipe are considered “hot” and are not recommended for use near mucus membranes and other sensitive areas of the body.
Otherwise, you’re good to go!
Here’s how to make a 2oz size of pumpkin spice aroma spray:
• One 2oz spray bottle (feel free to multiply the recipe as desired for larger sizes)
• 2oz of water
• 5 drops cinnamon cassia essential oil or cinnamon bark essential oil (both of these have a very true cinnamon aroma but if you’re looking for something lighter, then use cinnamon leaf instead)
• 3 drops nutmeg essential oil
• 3 drops ginger essential oil
• 3 drops clove essential oil
• 2 drops sweet orange essential oil
• 1 drop cardamom essential oil
Don’t want to male your own? Try this delicious pumpkin pie essential oil blend. Simply add 10-20 drops to a 2oz spray bottle filled with water and Voila!
Loving Preparation – Pumpkin Spice Aroma Spray
1. Add the essential oils to the spray bottle
2. Fill to the shoulder with water
3. Cap closed and shake well before each use
4. Spray throughout your living space, onto linens or pillows, or keep it handy in the bathroom for when guests arrive
I have really been loving this spray as a way to brighten up any room in the house and infuse it with the scent of delicious pumpkin spices!
What have been your favorite pumpkin spice recipes? Please let me know in the comments!
You may also enjoy reading:
This post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Read my full disclosure and disclaimer.